WHO WE ARE
Market Leader in Salt
- Over 30 production, mining, logistics and office facilities in North and South America
- Market leader in the US, with extensive brand loyalty extending to Canada and South America
- Products impact our communities; culinary, pharma, agriculture, oil & refinery, chemical mftg, highway de-icing, water softening, pool salt…
- 170 yrs of heritage with a new path forward; financial rigor, prod. efficiency, and innovation to lead continued growth
The HR Manager for this mining site (headcount 80+) will:
- Be part of the new HR direction within the company; focused on continously improving the culture, retention and local employer brand
- Drive retention through improving all areas of Talent management, including training, employee relations, issue resolution, compliance, etc
- Improve quality/pipeline of external candidates for all areas of the business
Things we deeply care about
The following are attributes of our best leaders:
- Intellectually Curious & Great Problem Solvers
- Self-Motivated, Flexible & Adaptable
- Consistent Positive Demeanor
- Hands-on, willing to "get into the weeds"
The HR Manager (HRM) will provide strategic and tactical leadership in elevating site performance in the areas of recruitment, employment, employee and/or labor relations, job evaluation, benefits administration, employee development, training and special projects.
When speaking with Olympia, please be prepared to share your salary expectations. We are unable to provide a salary range but can give guidance on if your expectations can be met.
What you’ll do:
HR Governance – design, manage and execute training, policies & programs that improve performance, communication, culture and plant results while ensuring fairness and safety.
- Establish site-based programs to foster an inclusive and diverse environment;
- Analyze trends in turnover, hiring, promotions, separations, and grievances to determine support or action needed to adjust unfavorable trends;
- Serve as Affirmative Action coordinator and follow required guidelines; and
- Ensure policies and procedures are administered in a lawful and consistent manner.
Union/non-Union Activity – assist with contract negotiations and day-to-day employee issues.
- Research local market to assess compensation competitiveness; determining if and where pay adjustments should be made within the bargaining units and hourly work-force, in conjunction with Corporate Compensation Manager and Regional HR;
- Create and maintain a cooperative and team-based relationship between management and the local union;
- Serve as plant contact and company representative with government agencies (e.g. State Employment office, Department of Labor, EEOC, NLRB, OFCCP,…);
- Represent the company and serve as the company spokesperson during grievance meetings and disciplinary meetings with employees; and
- Stay abreast of changes in employment and labor laws keeping management updated of any significant changes in the regulations.
Talent Acquisition – manage entire recruiting lifecycle
- Lead the efforts to solicit, hire and train qualified employees;
- Build external staffing relationships to assist hiring efforts during peak periods; and
- Position brand as “employer of choice” in, and around, Detroit.
In addition to demonstrating your capabilities of the above, top candidates possess:
- Bachelor’s Degree (ideally Human Resources Mgmt. or related field);
- Minimum of 5 years HR experience (Labor experience preferred); and
- Preferred experience within the following: Manufacturing, Mining, Health & Safety/MSHA, HRIS systems.
Morton Salt is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Largest Salt Company worldwide
Customers are loyal to the brand
Uses for Salt – Food, Highways, Medical Products, Water Softeners, …
Growth rate over the past year
Regional HR Leader
General Manager - Detroit
Why Morton Salt? Why Now?
- Morton Salt is a highly recognizable brand that, under new leadership, is rapidly executing on efficiency & results.
- Currently there is a heavy focus on finding individuals who can innovate and implement processes that contribute to expansion.
- Unique opportunity to drive change that has immediate and obvious impact to the business – truly exciting for those looking to make a difference.
Salary & Benefits
- When speaking with Olympia, please be prepared to share your salary expectations. We are unable to provide a salary range but can give guidance on if your expectations can be met
- Typically full benefits information will be provided at/near the offer stage. As a $2.5B+ company, Morton offers competitive medical, dental, vision and disability coverages as well as 401(k), vacation/PTO.
As Morton focuses on global expansion, culture will be defined by those who are successful change-agents, innovators and implementers.
Other attributes of building the culture include people who are:
- Results driven
- Continuous Improvement Focused
Office & Plants
Americas Headquarters in Chicago, IL
Plants & Facilities in the Americas include:
Canada – 12 sites
U.S. – 16 sites
Caribbean – 1 site (Inagua)
South America – 7 sites