WHO WE ARE
Market Leader in our sector
We partner with Compensation Committees, Boards, and C-Suite leaders in privately held, commercial real estate firms to provide compensation counsel necessary to attract and retain top talent.
We advise on critical compensation issues, including benchmarking, short and long-term incentive plan design, and incentive compensation modeling.
Work that matters in a way that people care about it
- Our teams work directly with owners, senior executives, board members and stakeholders of businesses.
- Our consulting advice adds meaningful value and elicits tangible results that impact how an organization is run.
- As a specialist consulting firm, we dive deeper with our clients and provide more tailored services relative to generalist firms.
Things we deeply care about
- Diversity & Inclusion
- Client focused
- Intellectual Curiosity & Problem Solving
- Self-Motivation, Flexibility & Adaptability
Executive Compensation Role Description
Ferguson Partners is seeking to add a high-performing consulting professional to its executive compensation practice in the Chicago office. This individual will provide critical problem-solving and project management on compensation consulting projects.
The position reports to Lucy Bertsch, who runs the private compensation practice for the firm. There will be no direct reports though there will be high engagement with internal staff and executive-level clients.
The role is based in the Ferguson’s Chicago office, with 2 days on-site, 3 days remote .
When speaking with Olympia, please be prepared to share your salary expectations. We are unable to provide a salary range but can give guidance on if your expectations can be met.
Success in this role is seen in the following ways:
- Ability to organize and work on multiple projects at the same time;
- Exceptional level of accuracy and attention to detail;
- Interest and knowledge of compensation levers and methods of valuation;
- Self-motivation and consistently high positive demeanor & attitude; and
- Unique blend of operating in a top tier consultancy combined with entrepreneurial drive to improve and grow the platform.
What you’ll do:
Responsibilities will vary based on the project, but typical responsibilities include the following:
- Conduct research and analysis of compensation, governance and financial data.
- Collect and analyze large datasets in order to conduct compensation benchmarking studies.
- Use analytical rigor to interpret quantitative and qualitative information and be able to translate complex data in a straight-forward and concise manner.
- Prepare complex quantitative modeling related to compensation programs.
- Create and ensure quality of presentations and other key deliverables (analyses, memoranda, reports, etc.)
to be presented to board of directors and senior executives at client companies.
- Manage project timelines and the creation of client deliverables with the support of senior team members.
- Participate in efforts to drive continuous improvements and enhance teamwide processes.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in a business-related field;
- Prior experience analyzing compensation data (preferably executive level salary packages);
- Strong analytical and quantitative problem-solving skills;
- Exceptional attention to detail and commitment to quality; and
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (both oral and written) and the ability to work collaboratively in an entrepreneurial team setting.
Ferguson Partners is an equal opportunity employer that celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Real estate firms Ferguson advises per year, ranging from $100 million to $100 billion of assets under management
Lucy Bertsch - HIRING EXECUTIVE
Director, Compensation Consulting
Vice President, Compensation Consulting
Vice Chairman, Compensation Consulting
What's In It For Me?
A career at Ferguson will strongly develop skills related to executive relationship building, problem solving, and strategic thinking. These skills will pave the way for future success both within, and outside, the company. The team works directly with C-Suite executives and Board Members of large-scale real assets companies – very few hiring organizations can offer the same opportunities and exposure in working closely with top executives.
Why Ferguson vs. Another Consultancy?
Ferguson offers accelerated stretch opportunities for those ready to take the next step – the teams are not bound by titles or years-in-grade.
Most other professional services firms tout “meritocracy,” yet they pay and promote individuals on roughly the same basis as their peers. At Ferguson, long-term retention is high, in large part due to the commitment of hiring and developing top performers. The firm genuinely wants each employee to succeed and is committed to ensuring pay and promotions are truly merit-based.
What Is The Standard Career Path?
While there are defined levels, there is not a standard career path at Ferguson. We want the right consultant advising the client, and a lack of an overly “corporate” structure allows for flexibility. There are no walls and no ceilings, meaning that we are not focused on telling consultants what they can’t do, and more focused on ensuring clients receive the best counsel.
Because rigid rules about hierarchies and progression don’t exist, there is a lot of opportunity to grow quickly, take on additional responsibility, and progress through the organization.
What Is Ferguson's Brand Recognition?
The compensation consulting practice is highly recognized by the top real estate companies, both within privately held corporations and publicly-traded REITs. Our reputation gives us direct access to the top executives and board members within our area of specialization. Given the quality and breadth of our services, we continue to serve as a trusted advisor to our clients in up markets and down markets. Accordingly, our business does not take a material hit during economic downturns – instead the nature of the projects change.
Is Focus on Industry or Functional skills?
At Ferguson, we pride ourselves as being the firm of choice for Compensation Consulting within the real assets space. While we primarily focus on providing services to select real asset sectors, our skills and capabilities can be applied to most industries. We are focused on hiring those individuals who are committed to being exceptional advisors with an interest in the strategic and compensation advisory profession.